My Goats First Kidding

DesertChickens1

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2014
Marana, Arizona
My goat Ducky is getting ready to have her first kid! I just wanted to start this thread to post pictures of her and the babies progress.

Ducky is a cute little mini Nubian that I got along with my Nigerian Dwarf buck Diablo from a friend of mine

Ducky and her brother when they were a few weeks old

Ducky and Diablo when they were babies

Duckys top and back side from a couple weeks ago

Ducky exploring her new pen today

Daddy Diablo

Ducky is supposed to still has about two weeks before she should have her baby, but her udders have doubled in size in the last four or five days, to just about the size of a softball,so I'm keeping a close eye on her in case she has it early.

I do have one question, what is the best feed to give Ducky right now and after she has the baby? Right not I'm feeding about 2 cups of Nobel Goat Goat Feed and she always has access to hay.

Alfalfa or grass or what type of hay? She'll need the alfalfa for the calcium content. Which Nobel Goat Feed? There are several. Just make sure it's not the medicated one.
Otherwise, feed her to condition.

Alfalfa or grass or what type of hay? She'll need the alfalfa for the calcium content. Which Nobel Goat Feed? There are several. Just make sure it's not the medicated one. 
Otherwise, feed her to condition. 

Yes, Alfalfa and I'm not sure what kind of feed, its the brown bag and it just says Goat Feed on the side, I also give her goat mineral treats occasionally

Last edited:
along with the feed and grass, there's this block.. it's either called a goat block or a nutrient block.. you should be able to get it at any farm store (got mine at shoppers) however it is pretty crucial it is just a block full of vitamins and minerals at first only give it to her for about 10-15 mins each day, you can later have it around at all times (however that didnt work for me since my goats will just eat eat eat!! and they'd finish that block in a day, so I just gave it to them bout every other day for 15 mins after the first/second week)

Yes, Alfalfa and I'm not sure what kind of feed, its the brown bag and it just says Goat Feed on the side, I also give her goat mineral treats occasionally

You will need to look on the tag that comes on the bag that has the nutrition information on it. It will tell you which type of Nobel Goat Feed it is.. they have like 10 different kinds.

Don't buy a mineral BLOCK for your goats. They need a LOOSE mineral, one formulated for goats preferably. If that's not available, one for cattle will be better. Don't get one for sheep and goats, it will not have enough copper in it. I use the "Right Now" minerals in Bronze formulation.. it has been working great for me, but you will need to figure out what your area needs.

Mineral should not be a treat... mineral should be out free choice 24/7/365 for your goats. The reason they eat the blocks so fast is because they either contain extra salt or molasses, and that is what the goat is eating. If you want a fun treat for your goats, raisins or animal crackers work great. Manna pro also makes a licorice flavored large pellet goat treat if you want to go that route. In warm months, I make my goats popsicles (water and berries/fruit of some sort). If you've never seen a goat eat a popsicle, you really have to make some this summer! Lol.

So, back on track..., lol. Check and see which form of the goat feed you have. I would switch to the dairy parlor one if they have it. You do not want the Grower... it's medicated. You'll want that for the kids as a creep feed in a few weeks. Keep up the free choice hay. I don't know how many cups/pounds of grain a mini will need daily. If no one else can chime in on that, just feed her to condition ( not too skinny, not too fat )

Went to TSC and got loose mineral, Ducky has been nibbling on it, also got a different feed that the girl said was best for pregnant does and does in milk.
Ducky is doing good, she's been a lot friendlier lately, letting me scratch her neck and rub her belly.
We decided to continue the names starting with D (Ducky, Diablo) so if its a boy we'll name him Duncan and if its a girl we're going to name her Delilah!

Ducky seems to be going into labor, her back is arched, he belly has dropped, and her udder is leaking milk. She's been laying down and stretching all day, and Diablo has been laying next to her through the fence. So it looks like I won't be getting any sleep tonight!

Still no babies, but they sure are moving around in there, I felt Duckys belly and they were kicking and moving. I looked at her udders, they're leaking a little bit, but it doesn'tlook like milk? Its real thick and a bit ssticky, is that what is meant to look like at first?

Back
Top Bottom