My Gold Wyandotte has not produced for over a week.

Amadorproducer

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 2, 2013
We got 3 babies last September- They all started producing this past February. Over a week ago, She not only stopped producing, but spends 90% of the time looking like she is hatching an egg, but doesn't produce. I have to move her to get at the eggs the other two lay daily. If she is "brooding", will she lay again in the future?

I watch them when I put them out in the yard (all 3 of them) as there are hawks in the area, and once I put them back she goes right back to where the other two lay their eggs. and she flattens out like a throw pillow.

Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thank you

A P
smile.png

Sounds like she is broody. I have heard where people give broody hens a cold bath to snap them out of it, but never tried it. We just keep taking the eggs, eventually she will snap out of it and return to laying.

She sounds like a young one going broody. Sometimes they will go through the motions, but not do it well. If she was full blown broody she likely wouldn't even leave the eggs when you let them out. Ours disappear, and make short appearances from time to time, and then show up with the babies 3 weeks later.

Good Luck and hang in there.

If I didn't pick her up and put her outside with the others , she would sit all day (and probably evening. )

Back
Top Bottom