My golden comets are eating all their POOP!

boolie

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 9, 2011
We have three golden comets (9 months old) that started eating their poop yesterday. Last night in the coop, they ate ALL the poop in the hen house. Usually they run when I bring the kitchen scraps out in the morning and love to eat them. Today, they completely avoided the scraps and all go crazy when one poops and eat it up as fast as they can. YUCK!! Last week, the girls were free ranging in our backyard when 2 foxes came and took away 4. I found the remaining three on the far end of our property about an hour or 2 later. Are they stressed from the foxes- it was a week ago and they have been fine since then. Do they have a vitamin deficiency? They are still laying eggs well and drinking water and eating their feed. Please help me!

I've seen my chickens taste test a turd, but never gobble them up like you are describing. I would ask the same questions as Fred's Hens. Do you free feed them? If not, perhaps they aren't getting enough to eat. Maybe you could give them some gamebird feed for a protein boost. Could they have worms? A wriggling creepy crawly in a poo nugget would be hard to pass up for a chicken. Other then that, I can't think of any other reasons they would do it. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom