My Goose has been EATING ashes right out of the burn barrel.

gigglssmls

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 28, 2012
I chase her away from it but she eventually goes back as soon as I go inside. I come back out and AGAIN she has her beak buried in the little openings in the burn barrel eating ash. Her beak is covered with black until she gets a drink. Her bowel movements have changed to a gray clay looking poop ashey looking in color. Why would she eat ashes..... is she missing something in her diet? I take VERY good care of my fowl.... I have geese ganders, and chickens and they are all WELL fed and are healthy. VERY spoiled. So what is going on with her?

any advice , thoughts, or input will be appreciated.!

Yes we have oyster shell AND for added calcium I crumble and bake the hen egg shells and add them to calcium bowl. She eats it but she also still eats ashes. Got to be to where she actually poops ashy bowel movement....the color of ash.... sigh. What is she missing from her diet? My geese, gander, rooster, and hens are spoiled so I am confused. :/

I put wood ashes out in a cement mixing tub for my chickens to dust bath in it also has play sand mixed in it, I have seen my geese/ducks and chickens eating out of it. still kicking so I guess it's won't harm them.

Back
Top Bottom