My Goose keeps scratching his head on the ground.

Porter Dobslaw

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2020
My 6-month-old Male African goose, Beaker, keeps laying his head on the ground and scratching it
I don't know why he is doing it. He only does it when standing up.
Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Is he doing it in your presence? Sometimes geese will dry bath on land and sometimes it’s breeding behavior, either way it looks like bows and head rubbing on the ground.

Yes, he does. He will sometimes do it when my mom is around but only when I am with her.
When does a goose start getting breeding behavior. He is only 6 months isn't he a bit too young for that?

Yes, he does. He will sometimes do it when my mom is around but only when I am with her.
When does a goose start getting breeding behavior. He is only 6 months isn't he a bit too young for that?
Geese start getting hormonal and pairing up around winter, breeding season as a whole lasts through spring, sometimes into summer.

I can conquer with the breeding behavior. We hatched ours early summer and they started getting rowdy this month. They’re starting to move away from gosling behavior and establishing an order. I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless the goose is clearly in distress.

Back
Top Bottom