My goose tried to drown one of my ducks. .

September

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 25, 2013
My buff goose (female) pinned one of my ducks in their water tub, pulled out a bunch of her feathers and then proceeded to hold her under the water until I chased her off.
Is this normal? I think she would have drown the duck if I didn't stop her. I've separated her from the others for now. She's my only goose and now I'm wondering if I should sell her to keep the rest of the flock safe?
Nini, the goose, is about a year old, and had a close call with west nile when she was about 6 months old so maybe that effected her personality somehow?

Please advise, I dont want to sell her but I dont know what else to do to keep the rest of the flock healthy and safe.

My buff goose (female) pinned one of my ducks in their water tub, pulled out a bunch of her feathers and then proceeded to hold her under the water until I chased her off.
Is this normal? I think she would have drown the duck if I didn't stop her. I've separated her from the others for now. She's my only goose and now I'm wondering if I should sell her to keep the rest of the flock safe?
Nini, the goose, is about a year old, and had a close call with west nile when she was about 6 months old so maybe that effected her personality somehow?

Please advise, I dont want to sell her but I dont know what else to do to keep the rest of the flock healthy and safe.
Hi September. How do you know she´s a she? I ask this because it´s more a male thing to do.
Also, it´d be best to separate her, but she really needs another goose friend.

She went to the vet and was put on antibiotics when she was little. I had been assuming they'd correct me if it turned out she was male.

I'm pretty sure she's laid a few eggs as well. I've collected some that are much bigger and whiter than my ducks eggs.

Hi September. How do you know she´s a she? I ask this because it´s more a male thing to do.
Also, it´d be best to separate her, but she really needs another goose friend.
I thought about getting her a friend, but do you think that would stop her from doing this again with the ducks?

No. It´s just that gese are better off with other geese. And how do you know it´s a female?
She went to the vet and was put on antibiotics when she was little. I had been assuming they'd correct me if it turned out she was male.

I'm pretty sure she's laid a few eggs as well. I've collected some that are much bigger and whiter than my ducks eggs.

OK, so sounds like she´s a she. You could always try another goose friend for her, but at breeding time it is usually best to keep geese separate from other poultry as they can get a bit unsociable. Can you fix her up a separate run for a while?

Oh, actually, I´m being a bit slow here. could it be that she was trying to mate the poor duck? Geese will do this with other geese, so it could be what was happening. So, not actually trying to drown her, jsut trying to mate her? Possible?

Heh, yeah, sorry about the two threads. I wasn't sure where people would be browsing this morning so I went post crazy.

Oh, actually, I´m being a bit slow here. could it be that she was trying to mate the poor duck? Geese will do this with other geese, so it could be what was happening. So, not actually trying to drown her, jsut trying to mate her? Possible?
It could be that she was trying to mate her at first (confused goose?) but then she just stopped and sat on top of her. The duck had gone so still I thought maybe I was too late.
I separated her for now. Luckily we have another yard that will work for a while. I don't think it would go over well with my family if I brought home another goose to keep her company though and I dont want to make her live in the other yard for a long time by her self.

Back
Top Bottom