My gosling acts Drunk

Discussion in 'Geese' started by jiggerpjones, Jul 18, 2016.

1. jiggerpjones

jiggerpjones New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    8pm and I found 1 of 5 goslings who cannot keep up with his siblings or parents. He staggers, falls over and scrambles to get up. He was fine an hour before. I have no idea what to do and have never seen this in the 10 years I have been with geese. Please help me make it better. Thanks

2. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Lack of niacin would be my guess. That's usually the case when this happens with mine.

1 person likes this.
  3. jiggerpjones

jiggerpjones New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    It/they get all the non medicated chick starter they want and all the 2 acres of grass they want with a big pond and water. Thank you for responding and i will look up the lack of niacin.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Some water fowl just need more it would be worth the lil ones life to get either some nutritional yeast [human] or plain niacin 125mgs and begin giving it asap

Sprinkle yeast over feed will help all the goslings 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed daily till at least 10weeks old or 125mgs of plain niacin crushed and mixed int a gallon of water daily till same age as above. If you notice improvement in a few days that is what it was a niacin def.
    No flush free or time release niacin.

5. jiggerpjones

jiggerpjones New Egg

Jul 18, 2016
    It seems to be a little better this morning after put it into a house by itself with food and water. I let it out with mom dad and sibling and this time they are staying with it and it is keeping up with them but still wobbly. I will keep watch for today and by tonight i will house it up by itself and they extra brewers yeast/niacin while its family are on the pond thru the night. Thank you, everyone who responded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by