My Handsome Pitbull Otis

dogterzab

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Hanging with my chickens
I am very nervous to let my little babies out when my dog Is around. He will try to smell them witch makes me think he is going to eat them. I need help on what to do.
hmm.png

Well, smelling them can mean just getting to know them. If you know your dog(which I'm sure you do) and want your chicks to become friends, introduce them. Hold one that doesn't flap or chirp as much as the others, since this may aggregate your dog into biting the little chick. Every time I show my little chicks to my dog, I always sweet talk to both of them. (It helps calm them down) And if things get a bit on the off side, I would make a weird sound none have heard of before. This takes their attention away from each other and back on me. It stops the tension between the two and they get to know each other again.

If you are nervous about keeping them together, don't until you calm yourself down. (Adding fire to fire won't help).

big_smile.png
Hope this helps!!

I put my broader next to my dogs bed. I also a pitbull. My dog would whimper and growl. When dog does that you need to stop it right away. When the chicks were old enough to go outside I let the dog out with them. The dog would attempt to approach the chicks in a very hunting motion. You stop it. I can tell when my dog is in attach mode or friendly mode. When i see any indicator of aggression, such as raised hair pointed ears, jerky motion I put a stop to it. After 1 week my dog stopped paying attention to the chicks. I still don't trust her put whenever i go outside and let the chicks free range i allow the dog to be present. The chicks have learned to ignore the dog and the dog is doing the same.

Thanks he will just smell them, but once he licked his lips I was out a few hours ago with my kind loving pitbull and Elmo pecked Otis's big floppy lips and he did nothing.

Do you have a photo of your pit?
This is Gracie she is the first pit i have ever owned, she is wonderful with the birds and takes her job seriouse when it comes to keeping wild critters out of their area, she is also a great hog dog but we no longer hunt her as she served us better as a gardian dog , plus no hogs step foot on our place any more
big_smile.png

Do you have a photo of your pit? This is Gracie she is the first pit i have ever owned, she is wonderful with the birds and takes her job seriouse when it comes to keeping wild critters out of their area, she is also a great hog dog but we no longer hunt her as she served us better as a gardian dog , plus no hogs step foot on our place any more :D
in the last picture is the raccoon dead?

Yea, the guineas were rasing all kinds of rucus by an old backhoe and when the dog went to see what was going on this is what she found. One grab and it was over as fast as it started.

Back
Top Bottom