My Hatch is Done!!! 9 Darling Babies!!!! (Lots of Pic's)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steffpeck, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Songster

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Pretty babies [​IMG]

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Well how about that, I never would have guessed it! I got another wrinkle in the ol' gray matter tonight.

BTW, those are VERY, VERY cute chicks! Our state fair is here and we're going next Wednesday. One of our favorite spots is in the poultry barn, playing with the chicks and ducklings. [​IMG]

3. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Songster

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Quote:Does that mean then coloring is pulled more from the hens as well? (if you are mixing colors.... say a gray roo with a white hen).....???

Cute chickies BTW!!!

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Quote:Does that mean then coloring is pulled more from the hens as well? (if you are mixing colors.... say a gray roo with a white hen).....???

Not in Barred Rocks, but if you cross a BR hen with any other rooster (non barred), the cockerels will get barring from their mothers and the pullets will basically be solid colored. Colors in birds dont mix like paint colors. Can't comment on white-there is dominant, recessive, etc.

5. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Songster

May 26, 2007
    NJ

Not in Barred Rocks, but if you cross a BR hen with any other rooster (non barred), the cockerels will get barring from their mothers and the pullets will basically be solid colored. Colors in birds dont mix like paint colors. Can't comment on white-there is dominant, recessive, etc.

Ok.... Thanks speckled! [​IMG]

6. Bandana

Bandana Songster

What about size? Does that come more from the hen or the roo? Or, is that more about dominant vs recessive?

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Tell me what to look for again for pullets & roos. Some of them are deceiving because they actually have the yellow headspot, and silvery down below the spot so in the pictures, it looks like there spots are not as defined as they are. Also, what do I look for on the legs??

I'm thinking I am may have to do one more hatch so that I have enough of these babies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  8. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Awww, I think someone's proud of their hatch! LOL! Congrats!

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

What about size? Does that come more from the hen or the roo? Or, is that more about dominant vs recessive?

I dont know the answer to that one, sorry. We'd need to ask a genetics guru, something I'm definitely not. I just know enough to get myself in trouble, LOL.

Steff, if I was going solely on leg color, there may be one pullet in there, but my pullets usually have much more color on their leg fronts. Here are two of my hens as chicks for examples.
    [​IMG]

10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    The one on the right has a very funny expression on her face! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: