My Hatch is Done!!! 9 Darling Babies!!!! (Lots of Pic's)

Pretty babies
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Well how about that, I never would have guessed it! I got another wrinkle in the ol' gray matter tonight.

BTW, those are VERY, VERY cute chicks! Our state fair is here and we're going next Wednesday. One of our favorite spots is in the poultry barn, playing with the chicks and ducklings.
smile.png

Quote:
Does that mean then coloring is pulled more from the hens as well? (if you are mixing colors.... say a gray roo with a white hen).....???

Cute chickies BTW!!!

Quote:
Does that mean then coloring is pulled more from the hens as well? (if you are mixing colors.... say a gray roo with a white hen).....???

Not in Barred Rocks, but if you cross a BR hen with any other rooster (non barred), the cockerels will get barring from their mothers and the pullets will basically be solid colored. Colors in birds dont mix like paint colors. Can't comment on white-there is dominant, recessive, etc.

Quote:

Not in Barred Rocks, but if you cross a BR hen with any other rooster (non barred), the cockerels will get barring from their mothers and the pullets will basically be solid colored. Colors in birds dont mix like paint colors. Can't comment on white-there is dominant, recessive, etc.

Ok.... Thanks speckled!
smile.png

Quote:

What about size? Does that come more from the hen or the roo? Or, is that more about dominant vs recessive?

Tell me what to look for again for pullets & roos. Some of them are deceiving because they actually have the yellow headspot, and silvery down below the spot so in the pictures, it looks like there spots are not as defined as they are. Also, what do I look for on the legs??

I'm thinking I am may have to do one more hatch so that I have enough of these babies.
smile.png

Last edited:
What about size? Does that come more from the hen or the roo? Or, is that more about dominant vs recessive?

I dont know the answer to that one, sorry. We'd need to ask a genetics guru, something I'm definitely not. I just know enough to get myself in trouble, LOL.

Steff, if I was going solely on leg color, there may be one pullet in there, but my pullets usually have much more color on their leg fronts. Here are two of my hens as chicks for examples.
DCP_3232.jpg

Back
Top Bottom