my hatcher pros and cons

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BairleaFarm, Sep 8, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I like to hear what people like and dislike about the stuff they build. I built this hatcher and have used it. I still havent finished the trays but none the less it works. My favorite thing about it has to do with the doors. They are removable and makes cleanup a breeze. The size is also nice seeing how I can incubate 200 eggs at one time and have room to hatch them all. Event though ive used to it hatch I had humidity problems. I think the way to fix that would be to add a big pan of water. Ill have to try it out next hatch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Seems cool. can you tell me how you are heating it? I'm trying to decide if I should try to build it, using my dehydrator, buy one of those styrofoam things from TSC, or take my chances that the bantam hen will go broody.

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    the dehydrator is a good idea. I use 4 60wt bulbs to heat it. Controlled with a water heater thermostat.

4. Bantam Chase

Bantam Chase Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    SC PA
    no pics but I am in love with my 'billy'bator I built for $30... go to rushlanepoultry.com and follow their instructions. The temperature does not BUDGE in the thing (I added water-filled soda bottles under the grate for a heat sink). I just wish it had a turner so I could use it as a incubator, but it is an awesome hatcher.

BairLea - your's is much prettier than mine, that's for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by