1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hatching adventure yesterday...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newdock, May 6, 2009.

1. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    Yesterday was the start of day 22. At about 1:00 a.m. the power went out.

After about 1/2 an hour, I got up to check on the incubator and it had already dropped significantly in temperature. One chick had just hatched and was wet and cold. One more egg was pipped. 4 other chicks were dry and fluffy. 3 eggs were doing nothing.

My 10 year got up and we tried to wrap the bator with blankets and fill it with sealed containers of hot water to add some warmth.

I called the electric company and they said that the power wouldn't be on until noon the next day...almost 12 hours!

So...we rounded up the chicks and remaining eggs. I put the 3 unhatched eggs in a small box with some wood shavings and grabbed a somewhat broody hen and put her in there with them. I closed the lid so she had no choice but to sit on them and left her in the kitchen.

My daughter held the 4 dry fluffy chicks in her arms and I covered her with a blanket on the couch. I took the wet newly hatched chick and held it in my hands under the blanket and took the partially hatched egg, wrapped it in a damp paper towel and thinking of the bra hatching experiment, put it down my pj shirt on my chest.

The wet chick fluffed up in my hands and is happy and healthy. The egg finished hatching on my chest with a little bit of help from me, but the chick has a large mass on its head and despite being alert cannot stand up.

A friend came over at about 9 a.m. with a generator and we hooked up the heat lamp, incubator and fridge.

The 5 chicks are doing well in their brooder. The disabled chick is still in the incubator - I was hoping mother nature would take care of it, but I guess I will have to. It's eyes are so bright and inquisitive. It can drink if I take it to water, but it can't walk. Very sad.

edited to add - the 3 eggs under the broody didn't hatch. They all quit at various stages of development and were tossed today.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  2. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    Wow! What an adventure! I'm sorry to hear about the disabled chick, but what a miracle that you managed to save the hatchlings and even hatch a few yourself. What a broody hen you are!! [​IMG]

3. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    That is sad and sweet. So cute to picture your daughter cuddling up with chicks on the couch. Wish you had a better outcome but glad that some did make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by