My hatching eggs arrived.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bookworm chick, May 18, 2011.

1. Bookworm chick

Bookworm chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    Just picked up the eggs from the post office. I opened the box and they seem well packed. I'm going to use a broody to hatch them. I don't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that I should let the eggs set for a period? of time before putting them under the hen. I need step by step instructions here. I've never done this before and have no clue what comes next. I am also going to put a few of my own eggs under the hen in case the others don't hatch for some reason.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
  3. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    i usually use an incubator for hatching, but when I get eggs, i let do this:

1: carefully remove the eggs from the package

2: mark the eggs (if you are using a hen you don't need to mark them. if you want to number them, that's fine, but you don't really need to put X and O lol)

3: put them in a carton (pointy end down) for 6-12 hours at a temperature between 65 degrees and 75 degrees. (if its hot in the house, i got a cooler and put an ice pack in there with a thermometer)

4: put them in the incubator or under the hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by