My head hurts! Breeding Mauve Orpingtons

tnmommy

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Loretto, TN
I have blue Orpingtons in the brooder, hoping to breed the blue into my Australorps. So...along the way I discovered mauve Orpingtons. As I have researched, the only way to ensure 100% mauve pullet and 50% cockerel offspring is to breed a splash/split to chocolate rooster over a pure chocolate hen.

Where I'm lost is how to get a splash split to chocolate rooster. Would I need to breed a splash rooster over a pure chocolate hen? I found a young splash cockerel for sale and I just wanted to make sure that is the genetics I'm looking for.

Chocolate rooster over splash hen = 100% mauve pullets (Roos be blue). I don't know that you could get a splash split choc roo, not that many people are making mauve. They have some mauve Orp chicks on rare-breeds, and I have some too. My mauve are all pullets though.

Oh- and a splash cockerel over a chocolate hen will give you blue split for chocolate roosters and blue hens.

Last edited:
Would the blue split to choc cockerels resulting from a Splash Roo/Choc Hen produce a mauve rooster when when bred to choc or mauve hens?

I currently have a group of Bantam Orpingtons. I only have the colors Black, Chocolate and Mauve in my coop. Last year I only produced one Mauve Pullet. This year I produced several Mauve pullets and 3 Mauve Cockerels. Not sure if this helps or not but maybe someone can fill me in on what I will get breeding the Mauve Roosters to Chocolate and Black hens?

I use a Chocolate Roo over Blue and Splash hens to produce my Mauves, this is one of my favorite grow-outs (hatched summer 2015)... She will enter our breeding program this coming spring.

Last edited:
She is lovely.
I have heard a couple of Orpington breeders talk of breeding Chocolate to Lavender to get Mauve. Anyone experience this breeding combination?

I've got nothing to add to the discussion really, as any genetic knowledge I may have is pretty much limited to what I needed to learn for my various projects, none of which involved chocolate, or any of it's derivatives. I was mostly just reading along to pick up what I could.

But one thing I might add for some of the posters here. If you are going to get into breeding to this degree, it would benefit you to learn the terminology. If you ever have opportunity to talk to an old time, or experienced breeder and his/her eyes just kinda glass over, and they suddenly have more pressing things to tend to, more than likely it was something you said. Not trying to be a smart arse here, but .....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom