My head hurts! Breeding Mauve Orpingtons

For reference this is my blue hen

DSC_0965.JPG

I have one in my head.
I've printed out the written flow that's is in the other thread. I'm just so visual! I was hoping for a cute poster like thing lol

I'm thinking of crossing my choc orp cock with my black Cochin in hopes of choc Cochins. If I selectively breed for color and feathered feet would this produce choc Cochins in a few generations?

I've printed out the written flow that's is in the other thread. I'm just so visual! I was hoping for a cute poster like thing lol

I'm thinking of crossing my choc orp cock with my black Cochin in hopes of choc Cochins. If I selectively breed for color and feathered feet would this produce choc Cochins in a few generations?
Chocolate is just a black bird underneath and its a simple sex linked gene.
So pullets either have a chocolate gene and are chocolate or they don't and ain't chocolate.
Pullets get their gene from their fathers. Mothers have no impact on them and they only pass their gene to their sons.
Males have two slots like most genes. They can have no chocolate genes and not be chocolate. They can have two chocolate genes and be chocolate. Or they can have one chocolate and one non chocolate. They won't show as chocolate with one gene but they can pass it to offspring.
If you cross your chocolate rooster with a black hen you will get chocolate pullets and split (one chocolate gene and one non chocolate gene) cockerels.
If it was me and i wanted chocolate Cochin. Breed you rooster to the hen. Then keep breeding back to a black Cochin until you get back to Cochin type.
Your first cross will produce split cockerels. You can breed one of those back to the hen and you'll get 50% of the pullets being chocolate. Then id breed those pullets to a black Cochin rooster. Then breed one of those cockerels to a Cochin hen. Then keep going in that pattern.
That will produce chocolate Cochin the fastest and easiest. IMO.
Fastest because you keep going back to a full Cochin each generation for type. Easiest because that pattern will only ever produce split cockerels so you'll never have to worry about if a cockerel carries the chocolate gene or not.
Make sense?

Chocolate is just a black bird underneath and its a simple sex linked gene.
So pullets either have a chocolate gene and are chocolate or they don't and ain't chocolate.
Pullets get their gene from their fathers. Mothers have no impact on them and they only pass their gene to their sons.
Males have two slots like most genes. They can have no chocolate genes and not be chocolate. They can have two chocolate genes and be chocolate. Or they can have one chocolate and one non chocolate. They won't show as chocolate with one gene but they can pass it to offspring.
If you cross your chocolate rooster with a black hen you will get chocolate pullets and split (one chocolate gene and one non chocolate gene) cockerels.
If it was me and i wanted chocolate Cochin. Breed you rooster to the hen. Then keep breeding back to a black Cochin until you get back to Cochin type.
Your first cross will produce split cockerels. You can breed one of those back to the hen and you'll get 50% of the pullets being chocolate. Then id breed those pullets to a black Cochin rooster. Then breed one of those cockerels to a Cochin hen. Then keep going in that pattern.
That will produce chocolate Cochin the fastest and easiest. IMO.
Fastest because you keep going back to a full Cochin each generation for type. Easiest because that pattern will only ever produce split cockerels so you'll never have to worry about if a cockerel carries the chocolate gene or not.
Make sense?

This is awesome! And the fastest way to a maybe Cochin? Same thing right but with blue?

It would be nice to be able to get a Solid Mauve Colored Bird, on a Self Black/Blue/Splash birds when you combine sex linked chocolate or Dun with blue, the natural lacing these type of birds have(black or very dark blue) is turned into light Cocolate color and the rest of the feathers(inside of the feathers) are true Mauve/Platinum blue as both color blends.

Back
Top Bottom