My health - and thinking about getting some chickens

Have you talked to your own human Dr about this? Chicken owners can be very helpful about keeping chickens, but your physician should be your first source if you are considering this. Most chicken illnesses are not zoonotic, but some are. Chickens do create dust & dander, and attract flies and other critters. Their bedding and food can grow mold if wet. Yes- fresh eggs are great, and a very good source of nutrition, but the average backyard chicken keeper is not qualified to give you advice about your own health. Chickens can be very calming to watch, and anything that gets my backside outside, I am all for- but I think unless your Dr thinks you can tolerate what chickens create and attract- you should get fresh eggs from the farmer's market or a nice neighbor, and get pets that do not require as much hands on cleaning/contact as chickens. Having to gown up with gloves and respirator to care for them, will probably take out much of the fun of having them.
Just my opinion though-- Jess

thanks everyone for your consideration!

I want to have some hens of my own to have something fun and interesting to do at home since I can't have the greenhouse.

Eggs are my base food and prices just keep going up!

I think what I will do is make a deal with one of my contacts that if things don't work out they will take the chickens and let me have some of the eggs they get from them.

One thing I noticed when I began to eat home-grown eggs -- 2 eggs really make me feel full! When I eat store-bought eggs I never have any sense of having eaten something.

smile.png

peace

I think I will talk with my Naturopath -- get his thoughts on how having chickens might affect my health. Maybe he'll want to buy some of my eggs.
big_smile.png

My immune system stinks...Every winter since 83, I managed to get pneumonia...Since I've had my birds (5 years) I've had pneumonia once because it was going around the store, and no sinus infections...

Back
Top Bottom