My healthy chicks have been exposed to cocci, what can/should I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Poppi, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Poppi

Poppi New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    [​IMG] So I have a flock of 4 chicks who have been very healthy. They are about 6 weeks old and just went into their coop yesterday with a heat lamp. Lovely, healthy, happy birds.

So I did something ridiculously stupid today. I picked up 2 similarly aged chickens from a local farm and popped them into the coop. A little voice in the back of my head said, "Hey, a quarantine would be a good idea" but like a big stupid idiot I ignored that voice.

An hour later I checked on them and everything seemed fine. An hour after that there was bloody liquid poop in a few spots on the coop bedding. I grabbed the new birds and stuck them into quarantine. They are going back to their original owner this evening. I also cleaned up all the bloody poop I could find.

Are my girls going to be okay? Should I toss all 17 cubic feet of bedding I just put in yesterday? Anything else I can do?

Thank you

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Are they on medicated feed?? I would definetly ditch the bedding... just in case. However if your chicks are healthy i wouldn't be TO concerned. But hopefully someone with more experience with cocci will answer. I've never had to deal with it. Knock on wood!! [​IMG] Good Luck!!

3. Poppi

Poppi New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    No, they're on organic mash

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I would toss the bedding, sanitize everything including waterers and feeders and go buy corid, quickly.

5. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep an eye on them, have meds handy and don't sweat it. If anything, you've just introduced their immune systems to cocci which can lead to immunity. Consider it a lesson learned on mandatory quarantining. [​IMG]

6. Poppi

Poppi New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Thank you.

I can't seem to track down meds here at the farm stores so I guess you have to get it from a vet. I've cleaned the best I can and now I hope. I didn't realize how attached I was to my girls until this moment. I'm so upset and worried. How many days until I know for sure they're out of danger?

And yes, I've learned my lesson about quarantine. I knew better than that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by