my Heart brakes today.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by winekntrychicks, Aug 24, 2010.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I lost Rosie today. She got locked out of her pen and couldn't find water!It was 107 today. I had it in buckets everywhere. She was a cochin. I am such an idiot. It's all my fault for not paying better attention....my life will never be the same what will I do now?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I am sorry for your loss. I lost a couple to the heat this summer as well. It is hard. [​IMG]

3. rhondaa

rhondaa Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2009
    North Tx
    sorry, sorry,sorry! I did the same last week. i was havin a yard sale and was not watchin water levels good in the house. The heat has been so bad 105, 114 in hen house, for 4 weeks and no rain at all. The water goes fast in the waters. I go out 3 time a day now!!! i have lost 2 hens this month due to heat stress!!! again sorry

4. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:It's a horrible feeling. I have lost 2 of my dearest girls and one roo all connected to my Dad who we lost May of last year.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]. I just lost my baby girl, Faun. Sometimes, you don't realize how much you love them until they're gone.

6. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:2 weeks ago I lost Roosty (something hit or got him) than a few weeks before that I didn't get to lock up the pen and a raccoon got my other girl. I kept reasuring myself that "I still have Rosie" Now she is gone!

7. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:2 weeks ago I lost Roosty (something hit or got him) than a few weeks before that I didn't get to lock up the pen and a raccoon got my other girl. I kept reasuring myself that "I still have Rosie" Now she is gone!

I've been in a simular situation. It's always the ones we love most that pass - and every time I've ever lost a chook, I blame myself for it. We are only human. [​IMG]

8. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA

I've been in a simular situation. It's always the ones we love most that pass - and every time I've ever lost a chook, I blame myself for it. We are only human. [​IMG]

In this situation I am to blame. She was at my mercy and I let her down. Now she is gone!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  9. jta In Iowa

jta In Iowa New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    I am so sorry. It hurts to lose a beloved feathered friend. Time heals, but it scars as well. My daughter did something that she has regretted for a long time. She let out, last spring, our prize hen turkey, Ownty . Ownty was favored because my daughter took a lot of time with her and taught her how to walk on a leash like a dog. Everyone loved petting her and turkeys are social birds so Ownty loved the attention. Ownty got attacked by a stray dog. Ownty died in my daughters lap on the way to the emergency vet clinic. It's a very hard hard lesson. To complicate matters Ownty was my bird. We adopted another baby turkey hen, and she started training her, but Ownty was an original and dearly missed. My condolences.
    jta in Iowa
    [​IMG]

10. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry for your loss =\\

I lost 3 a few weeks ago, I think to Pneumonia, with these crazy hot days & cold nights. They were fine at night, & dead in the morning. We miss them so!
    (I sent the third one for necropsy... labs still pending but the physical exam only showed a little sinus congestion.
    Are you in the local yahoo chicken chat? We have a get together coming up, with birds, chicks, & eggs available. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by