My hen acts like she doesn't want to lay!

chickygirl!

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
My hen was loose and I noticed a pile of eggs under the table in the barn, I moved them into the chicken pen and put her in the cage with her eggs, I went out there the next day and she had them scattered all over and she won't lay on them. What should I do! In case you were wondering I do have a rooster also. Should I throw them away, and start over?

HI chickygirl, welcome to the lunacy
big_smile.png

depending on how may eggs you found (the number of days they were out there), and how hot it is where you are, i would keep and eat those eggs. To try and get her to use the nest box, i would confine her to it for a about a week.That way she will have no choice but to use it. After turning her back out she will go back and lay her eggs there each day and also return at days end to roost. This way oyu will at least have her laying where you want her to. As far as gettin her to set, sorry, i'm too new at this to know.
Jim

I have tried to keep her in her hen box in a ferret-like cage for about three days. Everytime I check on her she's standing and her eggs are scattered. I took them out and decided to start over!! Oh well, we'll see what happens in a week!! Thanks for replying guys!

Back
Top Bottom