My Hen Ate My Pearl Earring

LaraT

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2015
Hello!

Two days ago my hen, Vienna, pulled my 8mm pearl right off my earlobe and swallowed it within milliseconds. I barely had time to even process what had happened.

I immediately isolated her to keep an eye on poops, but also to make sure she didn't start acting funny.

I've done a lot of Googling since and have been reading mixed things about possible outcomes. A lot say that it will get completely destroyed in the gizzard and others say it is smooth so it should pass.

It was a gift from my husband for our first wedding anniversary, so I have been overly obsessing but my gut tells me it is gone. I guess I am writing to get opinions on how long I should hold out hope and when I should put her back in the coop. Health-wise, she seems absolutely fine.

Thanks for your input!

Hello!

Two days ago my hen, Vienna, pulled my 8mm pearl right off my earlobe and swallowed it within milliseconds. I barely had time to even process what had happened.

I immediately isolated her to keep an eye on poops, but also to make sure she didn't start acting funny.

I've done a lot of Googling since and have been reading mixed things about possible outcomes. A lot say that it will get completely destroyed in the gizzard and others say it is smooth so it should pass.

It was a gift from my husband for our first wedding anniversary, so I have been overly obsessing but my gut tells me it is gone. I guess I am writing to get opinions on how long I should hold out hope and when I should put her back in the coop. Health-wise, she seems absolutely fine.

Thanks for your input!

No doubt your hen will be fine. Your earring might not be as lucky, though I am sure it will come out eventually. What shape it will be in when that happens is anybody's guess. Not sure how long it will take either, as it depends on how long it stays in the gizzard. I would be surprised if it took longer than a week, though that's just a guess.

by the way. Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC LaraT
welcome-byc.gif

It is not so unusual for chickens to eat earrings - I have seen several posts about that very thing on here (including one diamond earring!) which don't seem to have harmed the chickens in any way. However, I also think that you are going to have to accept that it is gone for good - even if you do get it back (and it could be a while if it stays in the gizzard along with the stones that grind up a chicken's food), it is liable to be very much the worse for wear.

But look on the bright side - it gives you a very good reason to get your husband to buy you a new pair of earrings, and you will always have a story to tell about how you got them
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom