My hen crows!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snewman, Jun 13, 2011.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I am, sadly, down to one single chicken (her last friend disappeared a few days ago), and she has started to crow! I thought I was going crazy the other day when I heard crowing. I thought maybe someone had dumped a rooster but I didn't see one. Then I heard the crowing again yesterday and caught her in the act. What is going on????

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She might be a rooster....Can you post a picture of her?

3. she'scountry68

she'scountry68 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Arkansas
    Yes she may be a he.

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I had one I thought for certain was a she, I had gotten her with 2 others I knew were roos, then she started crowing also....after posting pics and getting opinions, she is a he....post pics, we will help you.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard of this occuring when there is no rooster in a flock. The dominant hen stops laying and assumes the rooster duties, as much as possible [​IMG].

6. Dutchgirl

Dutchgirl Not Dutch!

Apr 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I had a hen that had two chicks. A definite hen. [​IMG] She went crazy when people walked by... eventually she began to grow. It was insane! I think the hen herself was out of her mind, though.

7. Sonic Chicken

Sonic Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    Sacramento, California
    I had a beautiful white female Ameraucana who crowed every morning. She was one of my best hens ever. She would lay the most beautiful turquoise eggs up until she was 7 years old. I miss her. Enjoy your crowing hen, it could very well be a female. Post a pic with a good head shot and I'm sure somebody here can tell. [​IMG]

8. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    She is definitely a hen, I'm still getting an egg a day, and she's the only chicken around. It's very bizarre. I haven't heard her do it in a few days now, so maybe her urges come and go. My chick order just arrived, so we'll see what happens in a few weeks when she has some new friends to play with.

9. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    She is definitely a hen, I'm still getting an egg a day,

[​IMG]

10. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Yep, my Salmon Fav. is the crower in my flock. I know she is a she....seen her lay an egg myself [​IMG] We have a roo we are going to keep but as of now, have no mature roo in the area. She is definitely the alpha hen and makes it known. Kinda crazy, huh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by