My hen died while in the laying box

markhodges78

Hatching
Jul 28, 2015
One of my hens ( red ranger ) 1.5 years old had died today while in the laying box her vent looked swollen and red she normally lays eggs that would cover a credit card she does not appear to have any signs of attack. . Has anyone heard of this before.

Welcome! So sorry for your loss today. Unless you have a post mortem exam done, you won't know why she died. Meat type birds, even Rangers, are more likely than smaller birds to develop heart failure, and hens in general are prone to reproductive difficulties. Mites or lice can be an issue. Nobody on the forum can really answer your question; too many possibilities. Mary

welcome-byc.gif
Sorry to hear about the loss of your hen. The cause may have been an egg laying issue, it's hard to say with so little details. If you feel up to it, opening her up will hopefully provide answers.

Mary is right, there are way too many possibilities and very little information. There is no mention of where you are located, if you are in the South, it might have been heat stroke. It gets extremely hot in the nesting boxes

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys. .
I did not open her up she was the only one of my girls that was claimed and that was by my 9 year old son ( 7 and a half at the time ) yes i am in the south it was not that hot that day. I'm starting to think she my have been egg bound because she had not laid and egg all week. .

Back
Top Bottom