My hen gurgled and sneezed.. is she sick? *UPDATE RIP*

equinelyn

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Southern York County
I watched my hen lay an egg the other day, and I heard her gurgling as she was breathing. After she laid an egg she kinda sneezed and gurgled more.. Is she sick? She doesn't make this noise all the time. I noticed all the chicken kinda sneeze a little after a rain storm once, they sit out int he rain a lot. I don't know why.

Here is a video of her gurgling..

This was her yesterday(Hilarious video BTW, but she sounds clear here!)

Last edited:
She sounds like she may have a fungal infection. With hot and humid weather, many folks have this in their flock and have no idea that's what it is. It's not gapeworm, it's repiratory, but if fungal, not contagious. That is not normal after laying an egg at all and it does not sound like gapeworm. She has fluid in her trachea and/or lungs, it sounds like to me.

You need to read this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=560301

Then, you could follow up with this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=562407

I cant believe I didn't see this last post!!
he.gif
I wish I would have seen it sooner we could have saved her...
hit.gif

It seemed like it went away so we all forgot about it... Well my mother went into the coop last week and put them in at night, she said Bertha sounded extra gurgly. The next morning we found her dead... All the other chickens seem fine. No gurgles or anything... We have had a TON of rain a few weeks ago... We actually had a flood that washed out all our streams. From all that rain, some water got into the coop and made the bedding all wet.. But we stripped everything out and let it air dry and put fresh dry bedding in as soon as all the rain stopped.. RIP Bertha, you were the Mother hen of the flock..

94651_photo-7.jpg

94651_levi.jpg

Last edited:
I lost a Silver-Laced Wyandotte to a respiratory problem just yesterday. It happened so fast, just a matter of hours. Anyway, I can empathize; I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Your hen looks like she was a real character. I love the picture of her with the horse.

Back
Top Bottom