My hen has an egg problem that is getting worse and weirder by the day! Please share your advise if

I don't take her in Coastal when they are selling animals and I never put her on the floor. Same with when we go to Home Depot and any place that allows dogs. She is carried backwards like a football under my arm and peeks out from under my sleeve. She is an awesome accessory with her fluffy butt and green legs dangling next to my purse. I am careful about what she gets into on the counters when we check out since she loves to throw things on the floor and go through the "impulse buy" display near by. She gets treats at drive through windows but not enough to hamper her appetite and she does not like most things that are fried. Her diet is most likely the culprit and I will make sure she is regimented properly.

Sounds like such fun to take her around town with you!
big_smile.png
What is the reptile light for? Chickens see UV light anyway and at 68* she is far from cold. Just wondering....

I was aiming at simulating daylight for her like reptiles have since she is mostly indoors. I know artificial sun is good to be near for people and caged exotic birds during the short dark days. She goes to the park on weekends with us but on week days we are at work and school so she misses the window of opportunity for outdoor light. We let her outside in the dark and turn over rocks for her to get bugs with the aid of a flash light and she loves it. She has no idea she what a curfew is. We watch her chicken silhouette along the fence line and the cats join her to catch what she doesn't want. She is always chaperoned because of owls and other predators that are not afraid of our dog.

Anyway, thank you for all of the information and I will be sure to leave an update when I come back in tomorrow :)

Sesame is slowly getting back to her normal personality. She is in her tank with her chicken mash and oyster shell on the side. She enjoyed her warm bath in the sink last night and she preened out her feathers. When she is in her tank during the day, she tends to get poop on her toes and tummy and doesn't like to pick it off herself so we help her out. She didn't beg at dinner time to join us so she did not get extras. It's sad that we don't hear her skittering down the hall when the fridge door opens, see her waiting at the top of the stairs when we get home, and have her sidle up next to us on the couch to watch a movie. We are looking forward to enjoying her chicken antics again soon.

She is still not eating and passing like she usually does but hopefully that will pick up in time. Fingers crossed that her next egg is not an issue.

Thank you again everyone for your helpful advice! We really appreciate it :)

Back
Top Bottom