My hen has lose stools

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Parkerchick, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Parkerchick

Parkerchick New Egg

Nov 19, 2011
    Please help...I am at my wits ends. I lost 2 hens last week and I have another hen that is acting fine but has loose stools. I am a naturalist so I don't use meds to worm. I got them 3 weeks ago and all had normal stools. So this has developed recently. I feed the Layena and scratch and of course table scraps. Yesterday I gave them a natural priobiotic remedy of yogurt, scrambled egg, molasses, and garlic. I gave them pumpkin the day before. Today I ground some fresh coconut. I reluctantly added an antibiotic to their water supply as a preventative.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be or what else I should do?
    Thank you!

2. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    What were the symptoms the other girls had before they died? Is there a reason you suspect worms? Have you checked for mites or lice??? Have you segregated this girl from the rest of the flock?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Molasses is used as a laxative in chickens. Stop all the scraps, yogurt, molasses, garlic, scrambled egg, coconut, scratch, pumpkin, and antibiotic. Only feed them the Layena.
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html
    Scroll down to "LAXATIVE SOLUTIONS."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by