My hen has lost feathers and not eating!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meghubs, Feb 1, 2014.

1. meghubs

meghubs New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    A couple of days ago, we noticed one of our hens had all her tail feathers plucked out and bleeding. We separated her from the others, and I then noticed one of her wings was missing feathers and bleeding, and her comb was practically gone and bleeding. She's been better by herself, and this morning, I checked on her and noticed she is lethargic and not eating. She is scratching around the ground and "eating" the ground pretty much. I don't know what to do!! Should I change her food or give her any antibiotics? I'm new to this and want to take care of her. I've checked the other hens and she is the only one with missing feathers. Any advice??

2. Sharon Bee

Sharon Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Ontario
    I'm no expert but I would feed her special treats to get her eating again. Maybe greens, meal worms, scrambled eggs. Sounds like she's been attacked and probably in shock.
    Poor thing.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Check her vent for any signs of prolapse. This hen has been bullied and besides being feather-picked may have been kept from food. Make sure to put out more than one feeder and waterer. I agree with trying to fatten her up, and she might need to be brought in for awhile. I would bring her scrambled eggs, dry cat food, sunflower seeds, low sodium tuna, or other high protein snacks to get some meat on her. I would check her for mites, and probably worm her with a wormer such as fenbendazole or SafeGuard horse paste--1 pea size amount by mouth and repeat in 10 days.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    X2 I absolutely agree with Above post. It's likely she's being bullied . Great advice given in top post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by