My hen has Not been eating!!! Please help!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missypebble, Mar 15, 2011.

1. missypebble

missypebble Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    A little two weeks ago, one of my hens passed away - dog attacked and she couldn't survive the surgery. The other surviving hen has been missing her - they were friends and great buddy to one another and they are the only two hens I have. Ever since her friend is gone, she hasn't been eating as much anymore! I've tried to feed her with her favorite treats, but she only manages to eat very little then walks away. She hasn't been eating layer crumble or anything nutritious, at all! The only "joy" she's been getting is catching mosquito flies in the backyard. Her drops have been significantly small, 3 times smaller than her previous drops.
    What can I do ? Why has she not been eating? Please, please help!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens are flock animals and don't do well alone. They can also react strongly to something like a dog attack. Most likely both are affecting her.

Good luck.

3. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    The poor girl, she is really missing her BFF. Have you thought about finding another hen or two for her? Maybe putting a mirror in the coop so she can see her reflection might help make her feel like she has company...just a thought. I do alot of rescueing of chickens and I find it pretty eze to introduce a new-bee. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. missypebble

Mar 11, 2011
    I think I might have to get a pullet for her. I did, however, get two new chicks recently, but I didn't want the chicks to be in the same coop with my surviving hen because I do know my hen might peck at the chicks, etc. I was planning to introduce them to the hen in the next 4-5 months, whenever the new chicks grow a little more. But I think at this point I might need to get a pullet. So you do think that getting another pullet will be the only way for my hen to eat normally again? I'm really new to raising/ nurturing chickens, but I love them so much! It does hurt to see my surviving hen has been so lonely and struggling to be on her own... Thanks for your suggestions!!!

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think getting her a friend would help her. It may take her mind off of her loss.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  6. missypebble

Mar 11, 2011
    If I need to get another hen for my surviving hen, that may present a problem for me as I don't think I can manage 4 chickens - I recently bought two new chicks....Do you think my surviving hen will be ok for the next 4-5 months by herself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by