My hen is acting very strange? PLEASE HELP!!

I<3myseramas

Hatching
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Loon Lake Washington
OK So Maggie (the hen) is a 1 year old Speckkeld Sussex. She normaly follows me around cluck, cluck, clucking. She has been lay regularly now for a long time... This morning I walked in to the coop and she was sitting on the perches breathing heavy with a red-er then normal face. I thought maybe she was getting ready to lay her egg so I let her be... I walked in abour 1 hour later and she was on the floor, not walking and her foot looks weird...

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

She could be eggbound. She could have a foot injury. What do you mean by "weird"? Pics please, if you can. Could she have been attacked? Could she have fallen from a perch?
Breathing heavy can mean pain, as well as other things. She is pretty miserable with whatever is ailing her.
If a vet is an option, I would get there - breathing heavy is something that needs prompt attention. If it's due to pain from an injury, pain relief may help - the usual dose discussed on BYC is ~one baby aspirin (no substitutes) crushed per cup of water.
JJ

JJ,
I do not believe she is eggbound... Her abdomen feels soft. I don't know how to do pics. Her toes are kinda crooked (not broken, I checked), The skin is wrinkly on her foot, and it is tender...
sad.png
There is no chance that something attacked her. I will try the baby asprin.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom