My hen is bobbing her head, sometimes just standing still with closed eyes

snowLey

In the Brooder
May 6, 2022
Hi, would like to seek help for our hen Tsikie. We noticed that occasionally she is bobbing her head up and down since yesterday. Today she is now just standing still wuth eyes closed, and sometimes still occasionally would bob her head and seems like gasping for air. Is there a cure for this? Please let me know, she is so precious to me

Can you provide photos of her and her poop?
A video of her actions would be good - upload to YouTube and provide a link.

How old is she?
When was her last egg?

Check her crop to see if it's emptying and look inside her beak for obstruction, lesions or canker.

IMG_20230310_160438.jpg

Attachments

• 1678470686943.jpg
    1678470686943.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 11
I cant seemed to upload a video, it says that the extension is not allowed. As of now she is still jerking her head, and we tried to massaged her crop and neck up and saw bubbling in her mouth, clear bubbly stuff like phlegm but its clear we tried as much as possible to get it out whenever we hear her gasping for air by massaging her neck up then getting it out by swabbing cotton buds

Can you provide photos of her and her poop?
A video of her actions would be good - upload to YouTube and provide a link.

How old is she?
When was her last egg?

Check her crop to see if it's emptying and look inside her beak for obstruction, lesions or canker.
hi, have uploaded some pics but cant seem to upload a video. she's sometimes seems like having difficulty breathing, if we hear her doing like gasping for air we massage her neck up and clear bubbly sticky like phlegm will come out of her mouth, we're trying to get that out as much as we could by using cotton buds to scoop that out of her mouth into the tissue. but yeah she's not drinking any water, but sometimes eating a little bit of the mashed feeds with little oats. We also forced her drinking through syringe just in the side of her mouth, but we're doing it little by little. She's 1 and a half yr old, her last egg was a week ago and it's just a tiny egg like what they call a fairy egg, its almost like a half inch, she's a bantam cochin btw. We dont see any cancker inside her mouth though, just that phlegm like sticky clear stuff

It sounds like it might be gape worms. It is a parasite that can block the tracheae. Look up some videos and see if she looks the same as that, or if the symptoms look like they match. You would need dewormer if that is the case. I'm not the pro here, but if you could look up gape worms until someone else can get back to you, you could rule that out.

Here is an article to get you started, but go ahead and do your own search.

https://ecopetlife.com/gapeworm-symptoms-in-chickens/

@Eggcessive

Last edited:
It sounds like she may have a crop problem. How does it feel? When you massage a full and liquid filled crop, it can push that fluid back up into the airway, where she could get choked easily and aspirate. I would only massage a crop that felt impacted, hard, or doughy. Does she have any sour or bad odor coming from her beak? I would check her crop early in the morning, to see if it is emptying, or if it is still full and puffy or hard. Giving some Monistat 7 or miconazole cream 1/2 inch orally twice a day can treat any possible sour crop. Recheck her crop to see if it feels empty each morning before she eats or drinks. What do her poops look like? Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

How long has her comb looked white and chaulky? That could be a fungus called favus. The same Monistat or miconazole cream can be applied to the comb daily to treat fungus.

Back
Top Bottom