My Hen Is Bored

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by roostersandhens, Mar 9, 2013.

1. My hen Herki was getting mated with way too much by my 2 roosters. I have 23 chickens 10 are chicks. I did not no what to do because Herki's back was getting sores on it and she was losing all her feathers. I finally brought her in the house. Now she spends the day inside and sleeps outside. Today is her 2nd day inside and she is getting really bored.
    What should I do to keep her happy and not bored? Any ideas on chicken toys? I tried cutting holes in a bottle and putting treats in it she had no interest.
    Thanks!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. Ok I still need to keep her occupied will I am making it
    Thanks!

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I had to bring my BR inside this winter when she decided to molt when it was 5 degrees outside, almost died from hypothermia and frostbite :(

I had her in a large dog crate and she got bored too. If you can stand the mess( put down a sheet under the crate to catch the mess) I put some hay down in the cage on top of the news papers then sprinkled a little scratch over that. She had a wonderful time scratching and hunting for those little morsels. You'll need to monitor the water as it can get polluted with hay pretty quickly.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. I would do that but she is not in a crate she is just running around the house. I may be able to make something like that work though.
    Thanks!

6. sargent spurs

sargent spurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    VA
    Get her a Purina flock block.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  7. First off my chickens are spoiled and some can be picky I have tried giving them the flck blocks they show no interest I have tried some stuff earlier she sat on a chair looking at herself in the mirror I has not gotten old but I have a feeling it will soon get old. I have a asked a local freind to nit her a chicken saddle so that should be ready by the end of the week! I still need ideas while the
    saddle is being made somthing needs to keep her occupied.
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by