My hen is brooding ghost eggs....I think! New Pics!

michelle43

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Vermont
I have a 9 month old 'frazzle' who is currently a house chicken after sustaining some injuries from a friend's flock. After rescuing her and bringing her in the house, (she had almost no feathers due to being a frazzle and was a target for my hens; not to mention it was -20 degrees outside) she started healing nicely and laying eggs every day.

About 2 weeks ago, she started to act strangely. She would just sit in her cage, which is kept open for her to 'free-range' in a large bathroom and she looked almost catatonic. Then at about 11am everyday, she comes running out of the bathroom like someone is chasing her and goes into the kitchen and poops a ginormously huge poop. After that she walks around and pecks the floor for about 20 minutes before putting herself away for the rest of the day.

She has stopped laying eggs entirely. She's on the same food as my laying hens and gets fresh greens daily. The only thing I can think of is that she's gone broody, with no eggs. Anyone else have any ideas???
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Yes....fertile eggs I have a plenty. The only issue is that she is soooo tiny and the only fertile eggs I have are LF. Will that matter?
jumpy.gif

Quote:
Answered my own question....she can only handle 2 LF eggs. I tried to give her 3, but she can't keep them covered. So, 2 it is...it's comical, but she seems happy!

BigDaddy'sGurl :

thumbsup.gif

We expect pics when her little, or big
lol.png
, ones hatch!

You got it...in fact, I was just thinking to post a picture of her now. Be prepared...I think she's the ugliest chicken on the face of the earth. It's not her fault...she's a hatchery 'frazzle'....if the frizzle gene wasn't enough, she had to go and get two copies of it.
idunno.gif

78180_img_1410.jpg

Back
Top Bottom