My hen is brooding on an empty nest and won't move!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissyMoo, Jul 12, 2008.

1. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    I have a bramha hen - about 10 months old that is sitting on a the spot where 2 of my other hen lay (rod island and a white leghorn). The brahma used to lay in the same spot until she stopped laying. The other two keep laying next to the bramha who then sits on their (unfertile) eggs and won't let me near the nest. I move her gently with a broom and take the eggs everyday. She never moves. I've started pushing her out of the shed where this is so that she eats and drinks at least twice a day. What's up with this? She's not laying, there are no eggs there after I collect everyday and she won't leave the nest... she was the smart one of the bunch but now I wonder! My americuna hen lays in every hiding place in the yard. They are all free range. What do I do to get the brahma moving?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    If it were ME, I would get some fertile eggs, but... it's not me. So, you can try moving her, and blocking her so she can't get into that nest.

I had a broody who's hatch was a failure--no eggs hatched. (long story) She still wanted to brood, so I kept moving her. someone suggested putting her in a cage and swinging her from the rafters, (???), but I didn't try that.

You could probably do a search that might give you more suggestions, but like I said, I would give her eggs!!!

3. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:Put her in a separate cage with a nest in it . FOOD and water too . TOOK MY hen 3 weeks to get out of this broody stage . Someone even told me to DUNK her in a pail of water to break that cycle , COULD NOT DO THAT .

I would get near her and and she would GO TO PIECES . Finally separated her for about a week and then , threw her into the main RUN area with the rest of the flock and she finally came out of her BROODY CYCLE . She was one royal PAIN IN THE NEST ( SO TO SPEAK )

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I heard you just put several broken eggshells in their nest and that finally convinces them to leave.

5. MissyMoo

MissyMoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    I love the fertile egg idea but I cannot end up with a rooster. My neighbors freaked when my little cohin pullet grew into a crowing roo. He was great but I did end having to rehome him. Rehoming a roo here is next to impossible! I had to drive two hours to meet someone who could take him! Otherwise I'd love to hatch a few chicks. I'll try moving her into a separate cage for a while. Seems sad because she's always been free range.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by