My hen is gurgling and spit up brown liquid

If she has a serious infection, the silver and oregano oil won't do much. I would start her on 250mg of the amoxicillin per day for the next seven to ten days. Even if it is a people prescription, it works just fine on chickens.

If she has a serious infection, the silver and oregano oil won't do much. I would start her on 250mg of the amoxicillin per day for the next seven to ten days. Even if it is a people prescription, it works just fine on chickens.
Is there anything I can get at Tractor Supply? I don't have enough amoxicillin for 7-10 days.

Attachments

• 20230102_143517.jpg
    20230102_143517.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 8
No they haven't. I'm giving her a bath bc she has poop on her butt and her belly is squishy, hoping it isn't water belly 😭
It sounds like she needs to be drained. She probably isn't eating because she's too uncomfortable with the fluid pressing on her intestines and other organs. At 7 yrs old there is a good possibility that what's causing her condition is cancer or some other untreatable disease, but it could also *just* be an oviduct infection or something. I think her best chance is a course of antibiotics and draining for the water belly.

You should be able to get a 3/4 inch 18 gauge needle and large syringe at Tractor supply. Lots of videos on youtube to show how its done. Just clean a spot on her lower right side, insert the needle bevel side up about half way in and slowly try withdrawing fluid. The syringe itself is sometimes sticky and difficult to pull out the plunger so try it before you the procedure so you know what it feels like. The fluid should come out fairly easily and there should be no blood. Don't force anything. If you haven't done it before I know it can be really daunting, but if she's very swollen it's unlikely you'll be able to accidentally hit an organ and she'll feel a lot better once the pressure is gone in her belly.

It sounds like she needs to be drained. She probably isn't eating because she's too uncomfortable with the fluid pressing on her intestines and other organs. At 7 yrs old there is a good possibility that what's causing her condition is cancer or some other untreatable disease, but it could also *just* be an oviduct infection or something. I think her best chance is a course of antibiotics and draining for the water belly.

You should be able to get a 3/4 inch 18 gauge needle and large syringe at Tractor supply. Lots of videos on youtube to show how its done. Just clean a spot on her lower right side, insert the needle bevel side up about half way in and slowly try withdrawing fluid. The syringe itself is sometimes sticky and difficult to pull out the plunger so try it before you the procedure so you know what it feels like. The fluid should come out fairly easily and there should be no blood. Don't force anything. If you haven't done it before I know it can be really daunting, but if she's very swollen it's unlikely you'll be able to accidentally hit an organ and she'll feel a lot better once the pressure is gone in her belly.
She did end up eating this afternoon, luckily. I don't think I can do the needle thing 😕, it scares the crap out of me, I hate needles. I read that a few people have had success with aspirin and honey for chickens with water belly. I'm gonna give that a shot and in the mean time I'll call the vet. Not sure my vet is all too familiar with chickens but we shall see. Thank you for your help

Back
Top Bottom