1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen is ill please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rallynut87, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Rallynut87

Rallynut87 New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Hi I went and let my hens out this morning and notices that my light Sussex was rather down in herself, she was huddled up in the corner of the coop when I picked her up she didn't even move or make a sound, and when I put her down she nealy fell over, I've isolated her and her comb seams dark red with white please help

2. cowcreekgeek

cowcreekgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Hurricane, WV
    There are links in the bottom of my post (in the signature) that will allow you to hopefully determine a disease/condition based upon the symptoms, and then research what you find for further information and possible treatment(s).

Running down the list also helps folks in knowin' what to look for, and possibly better spot other symptoms (which helps other folks, like me ~'-)

A few possiblities ...

Mottled, red and white margins ... Frozen
    Eruptions, nodules ... Fowl pox
    White, scaly, powdery ... Favus

3. Rallynut87

Rallynut87 New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    I can't work out what it is that us wrong with her

4. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Egg bound? It is hard to guess with out pictures and more information.We can only guess. No one is examining the bird.Isolate her, keep her warm, make sure she has water. Check her for mites, take a picture of her vent area. Is she loosing weight? Is she over weight? Does she eat and drink?

5. Rallynut87

Rallynut87 New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Hi bad news I had to put her down she could barely breath and lost so much weight, I couldn't see her suffer anymore

6. Rallynut87

Rallynut87 New Egg

Oct 29, 2012
    Oh and wasn't eating or drinking for the last 24 hours

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by