My hen is just sitting listless in nest box...

paganfish

Songster
12 Years
Sep 15, 2007
Fleming, Colorado
..and I don't know what to do?

I noticed she was squatting to the ground yesterday and when I went by her she didn't move. She just looked at me go by. Normally they react and scatter so it sort of worried me. I picked her up held her in my arm and felt around for any abnormality or foreign object that may be causing her some discomfort but she didn't have any. She didn't even move...just let me hold her.

So, I put her back down and she starts to squat, again! I move her a bit to see if it's her legs and she sort of walks/scatters off but then squats again! Huh?

I came back inside and when I went out to feed them she was in a nest box all by herself. No egg just sitting there.

Today she was fine with the others but still...somewhat listless. All day today she would not move from the roost near the nest box she slept in last night and is in fact in it now.

What should I do? She does not seem to be acting in any other way other than just being listless and there is no visible trauma.

Could it be the cold? It's been real cold and though I have a heat lamp in there she might've gotten a bit cold? I don't know. Her siblings (same age) are acting fine. Running around, scratching and being, chickens!

She is a year and half now. Any ideas? Suggestions? Should I separate her in her own space? How does one inspect chickens to find ailments? What does one look/feel for?

HELP! I am so worried!
hit.gif

Peace-

Pedro
sad.png

Hmmmmmm...Pedro, I'm not sure.
hu.gif
Is she eating and drinking? Pooping? How is her breathing? She could be eggbound I suppose - the squatting perhaps an indication..... Do you have the possibility of an avian vet tomorrow if things are worse? (since no one will be around on Christmas)....

I'm sure others will come along with their thoughts......and if you've seen this and answered the above questions it may give them a little more to go on...

Hoping she gets well...
JJ

Quote:
Thanks. I am thinking of putting her in the dog crate I have in there to keep her separate from the others. (I noticed another hen trying to get into the nest box she was in earlier.) I think she's eating and drinking OK. Her breathing is normal as far as I can tell. She's not gasping..and she's not wheezing either. (IF that's what you mean?)

No, no avian doctor nearby. I will have to call the vet clinic in the next town to see if they have ANY idea. Lots of chicken farmers here but they don't really do the vet thing for their chickens. The chickens...just...die! Sad, I know.

Geesh! I wish they could TALK and tell me where/if it hurts!!!
barnie.gif

It would make my life a lot easier!
roll.png

Thanks!

Pedro
sad.png

oh. that was my first thought, too, broodiness. but then i thought well too late in the season for that.

have you ever had ones go broody, pagan, do you know what it looks like? mine was a in super trance when she did. i thought she was dead more than once.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.

When shes on the nest, does she puff up when you put your hand close or make any noise?

No. She's a RS and they are not suppose to go broody. I know that's not always fool proof.

However, I do have bantams that went broody last Spring/Summer so I know how they act.

She's not acting that way at all. In fact, she's not acting in any way! She's just sitting there. I picked her up recently and she just sits there...on my hand.

I am really worried but I have NO idea what to do??? :mad:

Pedro :|

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom