My hen is lethargic not eating or drinking very much and weird poop

gingersnaps11

Hatching
Sep 1, 2015
My girl is an Ameraucana. She is a little over a year old. I am a first time chicken owner. Two days ago I noticed she wasn't acting like herself. She would go sit by herself and is a bit lethargic. She has not been eating very much. Yesterday I started spoon feeding her her favorite things away from the other birds. She was eating a bit of yogurt and bread and dried worms and drinking a little. This morning she ate a tiny bit and drank a little bit. I have been trying to encourage her to eat and drink but she is really not having that much. I have been feeling her crop throughout the day and it has had hardly anything in it. Her poop has also been weird that past few days. Picture below. Also she is the alpha chicken generally and since she is not feeling well the other birds are picking on her. I have seperated her from the others. Right now she is sitting snuggling with me. I have an appt with the vet tomorrow afternoon. But I am really concerned about her. Any advice would be much appreciated.

UPDATE

She has not been wormed. I am taking her to the vet today so I will ask them for the meds to worm the flock. She does feel a bit thin. But it does not seem like she has lost a lot of weight over the past few days. She did eat a tiny bit last night but nothing this morn. Also, I noticed something yellow in her stool this morning. Still seems low energy. Will try to give her some more food in a little bit.

That's a good question. I don't think she ate something she is not supposed to. All the plants in our garden are non toxic. And we don't leave anything out that they shouldn't eat or get into. We haven't changed their regular feed and I make sure any snacks or treats I give them are safe.

UPDATE

So I took her to the vet this afternoon. They did a full examination and a fecal test. The fecal test came back negative. No worms, parasites, etc. They noticed that she was breathing a lot through her mouth and suspect she has some kind of respiratory infection. So they gave her a 10 day antibiotic. She is still not eating or drinking so we have just started syringe feeding her. Hopefully she starts feeling better over the next couple of days. She is still separated from the rest of the flock. If she is getting worse, we will take her back to the vet and they said they can do blood work and an x-ray. If anyone has any advice for me, I would be grateful. Thank you.

Sorry, I personally don't have any advice, but one of my Buff Orpington hens is going through what sounds like almost the exact same thing. Our girl, Bertha, is our head hen too and shares the EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS. The only difference is that her poop was yellow/orange instead of green. I hope that your hen turns out alright. :)

So I have to syringe feed my girl and give her pills. She absolutely hates the syringe. But she is not eating or drinking very much on her own and the vet told me that I have to syringe feed her. Does anyone have any advice on syringe feed chickens and giving them pills? Is there anything I can do that would make it less stressful for my hen?

tube feeding her would probably be easier. Do you have a scale you can stand her on to weigh her?

I do have a scale I can weigh her on. She was also weighed at the vet she is 4.9 pounds. I don't know anything about tube feeding. How would I do that?

Back
Top Bottom