My hen is lethargic!

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I have a 4 year old RIR hen who has been kind of lethargic for the past few days. She doesn't really want to run around and scratch, she's staying away from the other chickens, and she's laying down quite often.
She's eating, drinking, and pooping normally.
She has not laid an egg in a while, but she's molting so I'm assuming that's why. I checked to see if she's egg bound, but I didn't feel an egg.
She is going through her worst molt ever. She's almost completely bald in several places. Could this explain the lethargy?
She's also at the bottom of the pecking order at the moment (there are only 2 other adult hens), and she gets chased a lot, especially by one of my hens who is raising chicks. Could the stress be contributing to what's going on?
Thanks!

This sounds a lot like some of my older hens who are going through a molt. They become more aloof, lie around and rest more, eat less, and generally look a bit sad. I try to give them some scrambled egg bits for a treat, and if they will eat that, then I don’t worry. Tuna, canned cat food, and chicken feed mixed with a lot of water are other things to interest them. Molting is a time where a chicken is more liable to get sick or come down with symptoms. Watch for the crop to empty overnight, make sure they don’t have caked on droppings, and watch for unusual poops. Probiotics are sometimes in our chicken feed, but a small amount of probiotic plain unsweetened yogurt or Probios powder added to some food twice a week might be helpful.

This sounds a lot like some of my older hens who are going through a molt. They become more aloof, lie around and rest more, eat less, and generally look a bit sad. I try to give them some scrambled egg bits for a treat, and if they will eat that, then I don’t worry. Tuna, canned cat food, and chicken feed mixed with a lot of water are other things to interest them. Molting is a time where a chicken is more liable to get sick or come down with symptoms. Watch for the crop to empty overnight, make sure they don’t have caked on droppings, and watch for unusual poops. Probiotics are sometimes in our chicken feed, but a small amount of probiotic plain unsweetened yogurt or Probios powder added to some food twice a week might be helpful.

Okay, I'm glad it's nothing to worry about. I'll give her some scrambled egg and yogurt today, and I'll watch for any signs of sickness. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom