My hen is not clucking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by a.liddell, Nov 30, 2011.

1. a.liddell

a.liddell New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    This morning went out to feed and one of my year old hens is stretching her neck, and not clucking. Nothing seems to be swollen, she is acting normal other than shaking and stretching neck when she opens her beak nothing come out. Any suggestions on whats wrong with her.

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Is she gasping for breath? Look into her mouth - can you see anything wormlike? It sounds like she might have gapeworm. Search on YouTube and see if that looks like what your hen is doing.

3. a.liddell

a.liddell New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    That is exactly what she is doing! What do I do? How do I know if the eggs she layed are okay and can she spread this to the other ladies?

4. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I don't have any experience with this, but you could search the forum for threads on gapeworm. I believe there are a few. Also you may want to repost in the chicken disease section to get additional help.
    Good luck.

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Have you wormed your girls lately. Sounds like gape worm which is a worm in the throat.

I wish you well,

Rancher

6. a.liddell

a.liddell New Egg

Nov 30, 2011
    She is gone how do I save my other ladies, how do you worm your ladies and take care of the yard. This was so sad. Really want my 9 ladies remaining to be good. and what about the eggs? should I destroy the eggs and will it go to my other animals like dog and cats. pls post

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by