My hen is OFF bad eggs, sleeping during range time? PLEASE HELP includes pics

tjo804

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 15, 2014
Cedar Creek, Texas
Please help with my Girl!
When I let the ladies out today to play Brady was *off*
Her head pulled in falling asleep standing up and not even looking for anything to eat.
She was drinking water from a pan in the yard and looked like she had diarrhea I ran to go look it was an egg

there was no Yolk in it just the membrane.
I put her in sick bay tonite and not 30 minutes after being in there she passed another one.

This one had a yolk but the shell still just went splat the eggs were only 3 - 3.5 hrs apart.
Yesterday she was fine!
I have 7 hens collected 7 great eggs.
today ?
I am dumbfounded!

I brought her in tonight off her roost but she was not on the Kings roost tonight she was with the peasants. I dont have a clue what could be going on!
she didnt eat hardly any thing today! I felt her crop throughout the day and mostly emptish!

Can I help her?
Is this contagious?
Does anyone know what might be wrong?

It is possible that she may be suffering from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. There isn't much that can be done for either of those. Some will give antibiotics such as penicillin or baytril to treat peritonitis if E.coli is causing it. Here is a link about EYP: http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
X2. so sorry. BUT, just in case, scramble her some egg sprinkled with some powdered buttermilk if you have it and see if she will eat.

She's older and seems to be having some laying issues, either internal laying, egg peritonitis, etc. She will either clear it and get better but may have this again or she will not and there isn't a thing you can really do about it. I just culled an old BA for this and she had several egg tumors in her and one had been blocking her oviduct. I'm glad I killed her because she was suffering from it all but her meat was still good to eat as she didn't yet have any kind of infection.

If she isn't better in a couple of days I'd end her suffering.

She's older and seems to be having some laying issues, either internal laying, egg peritonitis, etc. She will either clear it and get better but may have this again or she will not and there isn't a thing you can really do about it. I just culled an old BA for this and she had several egg tumors in her and one had been blocking her oviduct. I'm glad I killed her because she was suffering from it all but her meat was still good to eat as she didn't yet have any kind of infection.

If she isn't better in a couple of days I'd end her suffering.

Thank you that is helpful
should I keep her caged or let her with the flock?

It doesn't matter to her condition and she'll be more comfortable with her flock. Let us know what happens?

I did just that and she is doing much much better
I am calming down
She laid another egg this one had like ribbs on it but it was a full shell.

Thank you for helping me

You have actually helped me to slow down and focus on what I know.

from this guy

to...

this one makes a HUGE difference.

I'm so glad she is pulling out of it! I'm hoping this was just a blip in her egg laying career and won't happen again until she's much older.
hugs.gif
I generally have a three day rule unless they are obviously in pain, panting, etc. If they haven't gotten better in three days I cull...I've only had to utilize that rule one time and it was needed, so I like the rule.

Back
Top Bottom