My hen is peking all the others ( images included)

A hen that is high in the pecking will peck on the head to let the other chickens know to back off.
This looks more like feather pecking and is maybe a stress problem (too little space and hiding places) or maybe caused by unbalanced feed.
I would seperate the pecker so the other two can heal and look for some info about required space.

General advice for stressless chickens: 4m2 run space each for normal sized chickens, from sunrise till roost time. Free ranging a few hours each days helps but is probably not enough since the omlet coop and run are rather small.
Please tell us more about the space /lock up time and the feed they get If you like further help.

A hen that is high in the pecking will peck on the head to let the other chickens know to back off.
This looks more like feather pecking and is maybe a stress problem (too little space and hiding places) or maybe caused by unbalanced feed.
I would seperate the pecker so the other two can heal and look for some info about required space.

General advice for stressless chickens: 4m2 run space each for normal sized chickens, from sunrise till roost time. Free ranging a few hours each days helps but is probably not enough since the omlet coop and run are rather small.
Please tell us more about the space /lock up time and the feed they get If you like further help.
I have have 4 hens in a Omlet Cube with 9ft of run. I let them out about 1-2 hours daily to hang out in avian fencing with plenty of room. I feed them Purina Layerna pellets and food scraps and other treats.

I wondered about moult too. But I thought it did look a bit odd for a starting moult. But maybe I’m wrong.
With a second look (enlarging) I think I see new shafts growing
Yes I do think new feather are growing back by I am afraid that they will just get pecked off again.

I have have 4 hens in a Omlet Cube with 9ft of run. I let them out about 1-2 hours daily to hang out in avian fencing with plenty of room. I feed them Purina Layerna pellets and food scraps and other treats.

Is it possible to spend a little more time with them to see how they behave?
If it really is the head hen who pecks in the chest I would set the pecker apart. But I believe it’s a rather strange spot to peck. Normally feather peckers, peck at the but/tail area (from reading, no experience myself).

Besides that I think 9sqft runspace is not much. Its better to double that to reduce stress. And if you are still suspicious about feather pecking, I would reduce the scraps and treats to max 25% for a while. Maybe this combination will help to eliminate any unwanted pecking other than the normal back off pecking. But bad habits are often not very easy to solve.

Back
Top Bottom