My hen is peking all the others ( images included)

Poultry Kitten

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
I have a hen and I believe she is pecking at the others. I do think she is highest on the pecking order as well. (She is pictured below.)
image.jpg

She is pecking these other hens (pictured below)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I suspect that she is pecking them while they are in the coop. I am unsure if there is a way to prevent this but if there is I would love to know. Or if you any have any ideas of what this could be if they aren’t being pecked. But I doubt it is mites because I have checked them for mites many times and sprayed their coop.

I have a hen and I believe she is pecking at the others. I do think she is highest on the pecking order as well. (She is pictured below.)View attachment 3631167

She is pecking these other hens (pictured below)View attachment 3631169View attachment 3631170View attachment 3631171
I suspect that she is pecking them while they are in the coop. I am unsure if there is a way to prevent this but if there is I would love to know. Or if you any have any ideas of what this could be if they aren’t being pecked. But I doubt it is mites because I have checked them for mites many times and sprayed their coop.
The hen mentioned is definitely the highest on the pecking order. There is nothing you can do to control her need for dominance, although there is two ways to go about this: give her away (which will only cause her to peck on another flock) or buy her pinless peepers, which stop her from seeing in the front. Please note that pinless peepers often cause eye disorders.

My mother-in-law had an issue with all her hens pecking at her polish rooster's head, but it was only at night in the coop, so she just had him sleep in a different coop at night til his feathers all grew back, and then it wasn't an issue anymore. Maybe if you did that and let your other hen's bald spots grow back, it could stop? Those bald spots are kind of targets to other chickens.

Also, I'm sure you've seen it, but there is this purple/black paste you can get (the brand I have is "peck no more"), and it has a strong smell and a taste that chickens apparently don't like (like teatree-ish) that is supposed to keep them from pecking. It has worked with some of my chickens and has not worked for others.

Just a couple ideas! But I have not had this exact problem (yet).

The hen mentioned is definitely the highest on the pecking order. There is nothing you can do to control her need for dominance, although there is two ways to go about this: give her away (which will only cause her to peck on another flock) or buy her pinless peepers, which stop her from seeing in the front. Please note that pinless peepers often cause eye disorders.
Have you ever used them if so did they effect your hens sight? Would the hen stop pecking without them on after wearing them? Thanks

My mother-in-law had an issue with all her hens pecking at her polish rooster's head, but it was only at night in the coop, so she just had him sleep in a different coop at night til his feathers all grew back, and then it wasn't an issue anymore. Maybe if you did that and let your other hen's bald spots grow back, it could stop? Those bald spots are kind of targets to other chickens.

Also, I'm sure you've seen it, but there is this purple/black paste you can get (the brand I have is "peck no more"), and it has a strong smell and a taste that chickens apparently don't like (like teatree-ish) that is supposed to keep them from pecking. It has worked with some of my chickens and has not worked for others.

Just a couple ideas! But I have not had this exact problem (yet).
I think it is only happening in the coop at night but all of those ideas sound awesome thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom