My hen is setting in her nest box all the time!

If she just looks normal, just on the nest, just chase her out of there.

If she looks flatter, like she has sunk down and is more laying on the nest rather than perching in the nest, and when you come in, she puffs up to about twice her normal size, and her voice changes, then she is broody.

That is exactly what my broody hens do if I take them off the nest. They just lay on the ground for a minute then get back up. I have an especially stubborn one right now that lays down then immediately goes back to the nesting box.

If she just looks normal, just on the nest, just chase her out of there.

If she looks flatter, like she has sunk down and is more laying on the nest rather than perching in the nest, and when you come in, she puffs up to about twice her normal size, and her voice changes, then she is broody.

Yes, there's definitely a "look" to a broody hen. Big and fluffy and flattened is about right. And my broodies, if I kick them off the nest, always stay still on the ground for a second, like they were in a trance.

If she's broody and you're not wanting her to hatch eggs, then put her in a wire-bottomed cage for a few days. It's best to break her, since she won't eat as much while she sits, and she'll lose weight. A wire bottomed cage seems to work best to break broodies, since they can't get the feedback of being really warm underneath as they would if they were sitting on bedding.

If you want her to hatch eggs, you should mark the eggs that you want her to hatch. That way, when other hens come and lay in her nest (and they will) then you'll know which ones to pull out and which to leave.

O.M.G. :\
tongue.png
Bigger response than you ever expected, eh? :D

Thank you all very much for all your help and replies! After reading everything that was left, it is official! my hen is DEFINATELY broody! To a "T"!!!! Now i dont have to worry so much. Ive been pulling her out as often as i can in an effort to break this habit. Wish me luck! Thanks everyone! You guys are great and very helpful! I love this site!

Please can anyone advise ..iv had my pekin for 3 weeks she laid everyday but the last week she hs been brooding in her nest box all the time I have to keep getting her out to give her food and water then she goes straight back to her nest... she has not laid and im worried what to do can you help

Please can anyone advise ..iv had my pekin for 3 weeks she laid everyday but the last week she hs been brooding in her nest box all the time I have to keep getting her out to give her food and water then she goes straight back to her nest... she has not laid and im worried what to do can you help
Shes in a false brood if there's no eggs. You can break her of her broody spell the same way already mentioned in this thread for a broody hen.
Just take her off the nest, and put her in a pen with good food and water for about three days. That should break the broody spell and she wil begin laying
shortly after that. It doesn't work if you just take her off the nest, because she'll just go back to it or find another place to make one. You have to put her in a controlled environment.

Welcome and have fun with your chickens.
smile.png

I have a hen who been sitting on her nest for a few days now and I don't think she gets up. Is she nesting or could there be something else wrong. And oh this is the 1st any if my chicks has ever done this they usely just lay eggs and go about their business.

Back
Top Bottom