My hen is sick - need help please

TACKMEUP2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
I have a hen that has matted eyes and keeps opening her mouth like she is going to throw up. (Visual only)
I have about 20 other hens and am worried she may get them sick. What can i do for her and to make sure
the others don't get sick to. I bought some agrimycin powder - oxytetracycline hci soluble powder. I do
collect eggs and it says not to so I need to know what I should use. Or if all meds will say no eggs?

You need to isolate her now! I'm sure someone with expertise will answer you shortly - but that's the ONE thing I know for SURE!!

Ok, looks like you have a respiratory illness. First isolate your hen and keep her warm. Try to clean her eyes with some warm water with a little salt in it or saline solution. The open mouth breathing is probably because her trachea and nose is full of mucous. All antibiotics will have a 3 week withdrawal from the eggs before you can eat them. Use the search area and type in respiratory illness or ILT. The bad news is that the rest of your birds may be exposed since most of these are contagious. The best antibiotic is tylan 50 sold at the farm store for swine and cattle. It is injectable and some folks say you can give it oral. (I don't) Anyway, try to read a few old threads and learn as much as you can. This can be a difficult road. Good luck!
smile.png

The first thing you need to do is remove your hen from the rest of the flock. What one chicken gets they will all get if you don't isolate her from them. I would put her in a large dog crate or some other structure where she can be safe and comfortable, but AWAY from the other birds.

The mouth opening is probably a sign of something respiratory, along with the runny eyes. She is probably congested and trying to breathe through her mouth. But I am no expert. Can't recommend a medicine, but I can say you should not eat HER eggs while she is being medicated. Do you have a vet you can call? Also, try googling chicken health websites. I know there are some that have helpful symptom charts. Does she have any other symptoms? Is she eating? Drinking? How's her poop? Her energy level?

Wish I could offer more help. List all of her symptoms and hopefully someone on here will have better info for you.

Sorry you have a sick girl.
sad.png

I did separate her and unfortunatly she had died about a half hour ago. None of the other hens look sick. I will check tractor supply to see if they have the Tylan. Should I inject them all or put it in water. Also, how long after the tylan, will the eggs be ok to eat.

I'm sorry to hear your girl died. I, too, have been having sick hen problems and can't seem to figure out what to do. You are learning like so many of us-- just hang in there and do your best. There are so many types of illnesses and differing opinions on cures that it is bewildering. I can tell you from VERY recent experience to just look at them all every day and see if their behaviour changes. That said, they are VERY good about hiding their illness from the world. Good luck and I hope the rest of your flock stays well.

Back
Top Bottom