My hen is sitting on the floor with a floppy comb and bare bum looking ill!

madgeroonie

Chirping
Nov 7, 2015
Hi, please help if you have any advise - I have a Black Rock hybrid 2 year old hen who has started to look really sorry for herself today. She was sitting in the corner of the coop on her own for a while then when I let her out to free range I noticed she was looking very bald around the bottom of her bum (there are still some feathers around her vent). I have recently cleaned the house out so I know she is not suffering from a mite infestation. This evening she went to bed in the house but is sitting on the floor, not roosting as usual. Her comb is floppy too. She has been a very healthy hen who lays good sized eggs very regularly. Please could you advise me what to look out for and if you think I can help her regain health in any way? Thank you.

Brilliant. Thank you. I don't think she did so I will check all that out and hopefully it will sort her. Thanks so much for your help. x

OK so I stuck my finger (lubed up with a glove on) inside her vent and couldn't feel an egg. I am not sure I did it right - I couldn't get it in very far (about 1 inch) - I gently persisted in a few different directions (straight in and slightly up towards her back rather than down) and couldn't get any further due to soft tissue that didn't seem to want me to open it any further rather than an egg and not wanting to hurt her. I felt under her abdomen too and couldn't feel anything firm at all. Her vent kept pulsing outwards and she released some chalky yellowish greenish white poo and also a blob of mucous/poo/blood-I-think too. She is standing around falling asleep but has had a bit to drink now - I put some chicken vitamins in the water. Any more tips on what to do next please??

Do you have vet care available?
A photo of your hen and the poop may be helpful.
How long have you have her?
Any swelling, bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?

The mucous/bloody poop description is concerning. She may have an infection or some type of reproductive/internal laying disorder. Having her poop tested by a vet would be a good idea.

Do the best you can to keep her hydrated, once she is drinking offer her a little chopped egg in addition to her normal feed.

Back
Top Bottom