1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hen is walking like a duck....HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by candoeller711, Mar 6, 2011.

1. candoeller711

candoeller711 New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    My hen is walking like a duck with her tail down and wings out to the side. Does anyone know what this could mean?

Thanks!
    Candice

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is she? and has she been laying? thats what comes to mind right off possibly egg bound.

3. candoeller711

candoeller711 New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    She is almost a year old and has been laying. Her eating and bathroom habits have not changed. I gave her a warm bath for 30 minutes tonight and she seemed to really enjoy that. After the bath, I dried her off but she was still holding her tail down.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she is egg bound you will need to let her soak as much as you can just make sure the water doesn't get too cool, then for the night put her in a dark room if you have tums you can crush one up into some warm water and try to get her to drink it..hopefully by morning she will have laid if thats the problem. Have you been able to feel down around her lower belly for an egg or you can also put on a latex or something like that and put vaseline on your finger and go into the vent not far but see if you can feel an egg. also smearing some around her vent may help her lay too. What breed is she and does she lay large size eggs?

5. candoeller711

candoeller711 New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    Thanks for the advice! We've got her in the garage tonight by herself in an XL dog carrier. I'll keep you posted on how she is tomorrow. I noticed that you are from Western NC. I've got family who live in Waynesville!

6. candoeller711

candoeller711 New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    And by the way- she is a RIR and lays medium sized eggs.

7. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:MY barred rock hen suddenly started doing that last year. When I picked her up I found out she was also very skinny. We finally determined that she was laying internally. It didn't end well for her... I hope yours isn't in the same situation. A good person to talk to about internal laying is Cynthia (speckledhen). She has had several girls with that issue. BEST WISHES! [​IMG]

BTW, [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree with Robin's if she doesn't lay today that PM speckled hen and she could give some great advise since she has been through this many times.. I just hope she'll lay for you today or maybe already has.. and I am in Burnsville, sorry I didn't do this last night, [​IMG]

9. candoeller711

candoeller711 New Egg

Mar 6, 2011
    btt

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How is your hen today?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by