My hen is walking like a penguin

Tess M

Hatching
May 24, 2022
My hen (Dark Brahma) will be 2 years old next month. A couple of days ago she started staying in the coop and positioning herself between the water feeder and the fence. She is unstable walking and puts her wing down in an attempt to keep from falling over. She has very watery diarrhea. She is still drinking water and eating. She still actively goes after the mealworms. She is alert and lets me pick her up and take her out of her cage to clean it. Typically she's very feisty and doesn't like tp be picked up. When she stands her back end feathers are down and her chest and neck are up high (looking like a penguin). I have her separated from the other hens and rooster. It doesn't seem like she is egg bound. I'm new to this and am worried sick. I don't want her to suffer and am not sure how to help her. Has anyone had this experience?

Attachments

• Snickers.jpg
    Snickers.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 30
Yes, she waddles. And after a few steps she seems to loose her balance and puts her wing down or just kind of flops down.

I just checked my RI Red and my Brahma does seem more "full" in her belly than my RIR.

Back
Top Bottom