My hen is walking strangely Why?

Ikan Ikan

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 13, 2012
Hi Everyone!

I would like to pick your brains about a hen I have that has been walking in a strange manner. I seems to raise each leg up and down as it walks forward. I thought broken leg but I don't think so. When it steps forward with each leg I have noticed that it catches on the front underneath of the chicken. It looks like the chest or pouch in the front seems to be drooping and the hen catches its feet on it as it walks. I know this is not normal but what could the problem be? I was thinking to myself that it might be a tumour or something like that because the hen has difficulty walking forward with that pouch at the front drooping that much. Can anyone help with this please. I really don't know if it is serious or whether it is something that will come right by itself.

I will value any advice given thank you.

Kind Regards

Kim

Not sure but more info might help.....pics and/or video would really help.

How old is hen?
How long have you had her and has this been going on all along?

She may have what's called a 'pendulous crop', where their crop gets stretched way out, can hang pretty low and sometimes doesn't function properly anymore.

Hi There,

Thank you firstly for replying to my problem. I must I have never heard of this condition before and what causes it. I have to say I do not know how to post a video on this thread or forum as I have not been on for some time. Can you tell me how to post a video? This way you might tell straight away. Oh my hen is 1 year + from my first hatching. All my other hens are all happy and healthy as she you to be until now that is. She walks like the 6 million dollar man female version! LOL other than that she looks fine.

Many Thanks!

Kim

Hi

This is just an add on to my previous reply. Looking at pics on google that is exactly what my hen looks like. I hope it's fixable as I don't know how long it been like that exactly. maybe a week or two.

Cheers

Kim

Back
Top Bottom