My hen isn’t walking around and has diarrhoea

This is sadly true. One of the reasons I will no longer get sex links. They are bred to lay more than they naturally should and it destroys their bodies. So sad. I have several going through it right now. However I have also noticed that my older sex links are WAY more prone to cocci at this age, than ANY of my other adult chickens I’ve ever had. They get lethargic, lose their appetite, and have runny poop. I would personally say that it may very well be that. Corridor is what is needed for that. I would also get her on a oregano supplement, in her water after corrid treatment, and get her to eat wet cat food as soon as she will take it, and mix in some turmeric. It will help with inflammation from any reproductive issues likely at her age. And the oregano will help to fight infections like salmonella which they are also prone too.
I'm in the same boat as far as reds. It's too sad when you have to cull your brooder baby due to loss in quality of life. I've had cocci in a year old hen before, but that came with severe anemia. (She was extremely pale)

Cocci treatment definitely doesnt hurt. Fecal float and an oral drench too, though not all dewormers are created equal. It's just one of those things with reds... All of mine fell ill the same winter - one would finish the molt and be ready to get back on the lay and that's when it'd strike them... One after the other. One had ascites and notable lumps, poor thing.

Yellow in the urates or the actual poo part of it? Yellow or beige poo can be diet related and not have anything to do with liver function if the whites are still clear.
I can’t quite remember what it exactly looked like but I managed to get this photo. I cleaned her so she doesn’t look like that now. There was a bit of green. 😰

Attachments

• 679A3E69-CB9B-4918-A0F6-0EB0F00EC554.jpeg
    679A3E69-CB9B-4918-A0F6-0EB0F00EC554.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 2
Hello, my hen normally runs around and eats the grass but today she is not really walking around and she has yellow diarrhoea. I washed her and she is just sitting down now. She seems like she is breathing heavily and sometimes breathes out of her mouth and she is closing her eyes as she is sitting down. But she is quite alert and looks around. I tried to give her some food but she only ate a bit and didn’t really drink. Is there any medicine or something I can get for her?
She’s gone. Thank you all for your help 😢😭

Last edited:
Very sorry for your loss. :hugs

She was quite a pretty lady and it sounds like she had a good life with you!

FWIW.. generally speaking and not directed at anyone specific.. regardless of breed.. All life is finite and ALL chickens (and people) WILL face either health issues or death at some point EVEN when we do everything "right", that is part of it. Death feels tragic to us left behind. I know this too deeply. :hmm

When you're ready, if you wanna share her name, a story, a photo when she felt better, or anything like that.. we'd be happy to honor her life and memory with you. :hugs

I’m so sorry. Recently lost my beloved red Henny Penny, and her sister mamma. It’s so hard, and hurts so much. Wish they lived longer. I’ve avoided getting more sex links or leghorns for the reasons of exploitative breeding that leads them to health issues. I just can’t bear it. <3 you did your best for her, and she had a great life. So many chickens don’t get to experience love and safety.

Back
Top Bottom