My hen isn't acting healthy PLEASE HELP!

Rasuka

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 25, 2012
エド-City カブキチョ
Hello I have a 2 year old White Cochin (standard).
She doesn't seem to be feeling well and I don't know what I can do to help her.
It may be all this cold weather that is making her act unwell.

She is usually very energetic and comes immediately when you call her.
However my sister said today all she does is stay very fluffed up and she acts VERY sluggish.
There is access to food and water but she hasn't been eating nor drinking.

Assuming that she is feeling cold we have her inside our house in a box with a towel.
I don't know if I should turn up the heat for her or what.
I really don't know what I should do, can anybody help me?
She is actually staying in the small box without a fuss. Which surprises me.
She makes this tiny whimpering sound once in a while.
Can anybody help me? Or give me advice?

A warm house is good. Have you added any new birds recently where she could have been exposed to a new strain of coccidia? Has she been wormed lately? Feel of her crop for anything stuck which could cause impacted crop. Check her over, especially under the vent for signs of lice and mite, or their eggs. Check inside her vent 1-2 inches with a rubber gloved finger to check for a stuck egg. Check her droppings for color and any diarrhea. Look for any eye or nasal drainage, or noisy breathing. Offer her some bits of scrambled egg and put some electrolytes in her water, or Pedialyte, or Gatorade to drink. Give some with a dropper if she won't drink.

Thank you so much for your quick response!
She ate some food after we took her into the house.
She started to get lonely and looked for the other hens.
I haven't brought any new chicks/hens into my flock.
Her poop was green and healthy, it wasn't diarrhea.
She's been laying eggs but we can check to see if she is egg bound or not.
We put her back outside just a few minutes ago before I found your reply.

She flew onto the roost. Do you think we should bring her back in?
Towards the end of her staying inside our house for a moment she got restless and didn't want to stay inside the box anymore.

How is she doing today? I would recommend worming her and the rest of the flock with Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer.

Thank you for your help! She is doing MUCH better today!
she came running up to me.
I just got through checking on her for the evening and she was sitting on top of the chicken garden instead of on top of the roost with the others.
So I moved her to the roost. I think she may be avoiding the roost because the others keep pecking her...
She has this bald spot on her head and I worry about her.

Is it possible for her to get head trauma from all the pecking on the head she receives from the other chickens?
There isn't a way to stop them from pecking her is there...

How do you de-worm a flock? I have never tried before, but it would be good to know!

Depending on where you live, you can purchase Valbazen and give each chicken 1/2 ml orally then repeat the dose in 10 days. SafeGuard liquid goat wormer is also very good. There are some bad tasting creams such as Nustock, a sulfur and pine oil based cream available at feed stores that may stop the pecking of her bald spot.

Back
Top Bottom