My hen isnt laying after my puppy pinned her to the ground.

Granny23

Songster
Aug 2, 2021
Fontana, California
My 1 yr old buff Orpington, Goldie, is a good layer....daily to every other day or two.
My now 6 mos old goldendoodle Lacie has been pretty good in her training to not bother the hens...I have 4.
About 10 days ago Goldie got out of their area and I heard her hollering. I knew by the sound she was being chased and when I got to her a minute later Lacie had her pinned under her front legs. The hen was uninjured from all I could see and today is still active and acting normal even in the presence of the dog.
The only difference is she has not laid one egg since it happened.
Am I missing an injury or is she traumatized because of what happened?
Should I just give her more time?
Thank you. I feel so bad.

She's more then likely streased out give her some.tome to adjust obv look out for any unknown injuries just in case xx
I checked her immediately after it happened. Lacie didn't bite her or do anything to her that I could see. She was just down with the hen under her front legs. Goldie has been acting fine, even around Lacie today. She just isn't laying any eggs. But I will check her out again tomorrow to be sure.
Thank you!!

She is stressed then when my hen got killed by a fox her sister buff or brownie was so traumatised she didn't lay a egg for 9 months ! Just take little time encouragement so she feels relaxed know it's nt the same as your situation but she will still probs be stressed. I'm sure ur dog was jus playing if she wanted to bite her she would of done. Plus she still so young. Took my 2 labs a little while as ones 9 and ones 6 wen I first got chickens nw they sunbathe together lol xxx

She is stressed then when my hen got killed by a fox her sister buff or brownie was so traumatised she didn't lay a egg for 9 months ! Just take little time encouragement so she feels relaxed know it's nt the same as your situation but she will still probs be stressed. I'm sure ur dog was jus playing if she wanted to bite her she would of done. Plus she still so young. Took my 2 labs a little while as ones 9 and ones 6 wen I first got chickens nw they sunbathe together lol xxx
Good to know. Thank you. Goldie is a bit over a year old...Lacie the dog is 6 mos. She is acting normal, even around Lacie, other than not laying.

At her age and this time of year she was probably headed for a molt anyway. It's possible that the stress of the event could have sent her into the molt early.

Is it possible that she's changed her laying location and hidden a nest?
Thank you so much for your input...my yard isnt very big so I think Id have found another laying area or my barred rock would have! She's BROODY. Any eggs laid she's on them until I take them from her and it's in the only place the girls lay.

Back
Top Bottom